Educating the Wheelers


We've now moved to www.educatingthewheelers.com! If you're not automatically redirected, then click this. See you there!

Chronicling the Experience of Educating our Children and Managing our Family

Thursday, July 01, 2004

Math Curriculum / Calculators

I stumbled across this post today [via Joanne Jacobs] on how widespread early calculator use affects later academic performance. [Hint: it's not good.] My post-partum memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall not using calculators regularly until my college statistics class. In fact, I still have my trusty TI-36X from that class and still use it. [I've since sold the TI-81 that I used in calculus.] I always enjoyed calculating in my head -- I remember working at San Francisco Street Bakery in college, and I'd keep running tabs for folks as they picked out their items and would announce their total to them before I even got to the cash register. Cheap fun. Heh.

I've been reviewing different math curricula lately -- there's a fairly wide variety of approaches out there, but my gut tells me that tried-and-true like Saxon or Singapore Math is what most effectively teaches math competence. [The girls who babysit for us -- and who are homeschooled -- use Saxon.] One thing I like about them is that they discourage calculator use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home