Educating the Wheelers


We've now moved to www.educatingthewheelers.com! If you're not automatically redirected, then click this. See you there!

Chronicling the Experience of Educating our Children and Managing our Family

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Our Frugal Wedding, Part I

My Grandmother was appalled that I didn't let Andrew buy me a diamond engagement ring. I didn't really want one, but he thought it'd be a good idea to go and try them on, just to "make sure." So we did, and I was sure. The idea of spending several thousand dollars on a trinket just blows my mind. Oh, yes, but it's a "symbol" of our love. Yeah, right. It's a symbol of the effectiveness of DeBeers' decades of marketing effort. What a racket.

Additionally, I was really disheartened to see some of my normally less materially competitive friends scoping out other women's rings and ranking them. It all felt very high school.

So, we started off on a good foot with no diamond. Instead, we got a nice-looking pearl ring for about 70 dollars. I told him that if he really wanted to spend a little cash on me, he could upgrade my computer. And he did. Heck, if I'm going to get a gift with high depreciation, it might as well be something useful!

3 Comments:

Blogger JLP said...

Weddings have become a joke. Americans get their ideas for how a wedding should be from Hollywood. That should tell you something right there.

My wife and I married 12 years ago. When I bought her ring, I was making a whopping $7.50 per hour and living on my own. I went to Service Merchandise and found her a sensible 1/3 carrot (is that the right spelling?) for $700. I had to put it on layaway and paid a little each week.

Twelve years later, we are still married and she still has that ring on her finger.

My sister-in-law and her EX husband spent $9,000 on her ring! NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!! Give me a break.

JLP

AllThingsFinancial

12/15/2005 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger Empty Spaces Inc. said...

couldn't afford the fancy ring when i got married. but i promised my wife i'd get her a 2 carat eventually.5 years later i told her we can afford one now but if you wait another 12-18 months i'll spring for the 3 carat. that worked!!!

12/20/2005 02:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Frugal Pink Princess said...

Good for you! And who says a wedding ring has to be a diamond! :-)

2/13/2006 08:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home