Educating the Wheelers


We've now moved to www.educatingthewheelers.com! If you're not automatically redirected, then click this. See you there!

Chronicling the Experience of Educating our Children and Managing our Family

Monday, January 09, 2006

Another Whack At Expenses

As I mentioned in a previous post, I need to try to find a way to cut another 1/3 off our budget. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to do this, since it doesn't seem to be possible. I take some comfort in the fact that the extra money out of our budget is ESPP, and we're basically doing a buy and then turnaround right away and sell for the 15%, but there's a six month lag to get it back. And I don't want to dip into savings during that time or significantly reduce new savings, either.

This weekend, I planned our menus for the next three weeks with an eye on both money and health. I could get our food budget down farther if we didn't eat quite so much produce [especially in the middle of winter], but that's a choice we don't want to make. We're in the planning stages for a vegetable garden in the back, but with a toddler and another little one due in late April, it's going to be tough for me to get one started this year.

So, my grocery bill was 60 dollars this week, and that was including some unnecessary snacks, like ice cream and cones and yogurt raisins. So I think I did pretty darn good.

My next mini-task is to ensure that my husband remembers to take his packed lunch with him every day. Every time he forgets, that's 7-10 dollars at the taco stand, or Audrey and I driving it out to him. Little notes seem to help, but not always.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home