Educating the Wheelers


We've now moved to www.educatingthewheelers.com! If you're not automatically redirected, then click this. See you there!

Chronicling the Experience of Educating our Children and Managing our Family

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Cost of Giving Birth

We have pretty good insurance through Andrew's work that would pay for the vast majority of a hospital birth for our babies. For Audrey, we went to a regular OB for about 6 months ... but we clashed so bad that we "fired" him and started looking at other options.

[I'm a stocky midwestern girl, and he insisted that because I was so overweight to start with, I could only gain 15 lbs the whole pregnancy, and was a paternalistic %$&###$ when I *gasp* had gained 10 lbs over the course of 6 months. Here's a photo of me at 9 months pregnant, where he would have been apoplectic, because I had gained around 30 or 40 lbs. I don't even know for certain, because that last appointment with him was the last time I stepped on a scale. For what it's worth, I was back in my old jeans and clothes before Audrey was 3 months old, so ... well, don't even get me started on that guy. Suffice to say, we kicked him to the curb.]

When we found our midwife, we were thrilled to discover that our insurance would cover 60% -- because she's "out of network" -- there doesn't appear to be such a thing as an "in network" midwife, of course. Heh. She charged a 3k flat fee for her services, so we paid less than 2k. And it was worth every penny. On the upside, this time around, we knew we'd be going the same route, so we were able to max out our Health Savings Account for this year to cover it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

I gotta agree w/ lil_moh_1125:

VERY VERY SEXY BABY

XXX
-andrew

1/24/2006 02:46:00 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Oh, dear. Heh.

I'm a little amused/frightened by how high the view count is on some of those photos, and I can't bring myself to look at any of the other comments.

1/26/2006 09:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home