Educating the Wheelers


We've now moved to www.educatingthewheelers.com! If you're not automatically redirected, then click this. See you there!

Chronicling the Experience of Educating our Children and Managing our Family

Monday, January 16, 2006

Pregnancy as an Obstacle to Frugality

I haven't posted much recently because I'm pretty solidly in "pregnant and crazy" mode. If you've ever been pregnant -- or more likely, if you've ever been married to someone pregnant -- you know what I'm talking about. I'm overly emotional, my moods are flying and I'm totally irrational.

What does this have to do with money? Two main things, as of late. The first is that right now we're in crunch mode on our finances -- as I mentioned previously, we're currently living on a little over 25% of our salary as we readjust to some new and possibly overeager savings plans. So how am I responding to this? By totally capsizing. It's been awhile since I've felt so ... driven to want to spend money. My Amazon shopping cart is full of all sorts of crazy stuff, and it's only by sheer force of will that I haven't actually purchased any of it. And so on.

The second prong of this fork is that something totally bizarre has happened to my taste buds. I am just not tasting things the way that I used to. I made some homemade mac and cheese the other night that I thought tasted great, and poor Andrew was totally repulsed. [Note to self: don't make any recipes any time soon that call to add ingredients "to taste."] I went totally overboard in the adding dry English mustard department ... because I couldn't taste it! I still can't taste it in the leftovers, so it wasn't a one night thing. Andrew could taste nothing but the overwhelming horseradishy mustardness.

And today I made a potato/carrot/lentil curry stew which looked awesome on the page -- and I must brag, one of my Super Powers is a keen eye for what recipes will taste good when made -- and I tried some, and it tastes horrible rotgut to me. All I taste is overwhelming clove/cinnamon -- which aren't even in the recipe, though are a small part of the curry powder -- and nothing else. And the dinner I made previous to these two had a similar issue.

What am I getting at? It's hard to save money when you're throwing out food that you make instead of eating it.

It's been a frustrating week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home