Educating the Wheelers


We've now moved to www.educatingthewheelers.com! If you're not automatically redirected, then click this. See you there!

Chronicling the Experience of Educating our Children and Managing our Family

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Day By Day

Since we've become far more serious about cutting expenses over the last year, we've already nailed all the "low hanging fruit" in our budget. As I mentioned in a previous post, it's like we're at that stage in a diet where you've already stopped drinking soda and all the other easy changes. Now it's time to start counting calories.

So, every day, I ask myself: What am I doing today, right now, to save or just not spend money?

Some days it's easier than others. I'm making our yogurt instead of buying it. I'm putting the laundry up on the line instead of in the dryer. I'm staying home with Audrey and playing in the yard with the dogs instead of getting in the car and going, well, anywhere, really. I'm making muffins instead of buying snacks. I'm ensuring that the only lights on are the ones that are in the room we're currently in. I'm turning off the computer when not in use, and using it less overall. I'm designing our meal plans off the freezer, the pantry, the sales circulars and rejecting recipes that call for expensive ingredients that will unlikely be used up before they go bad. I'm trying to plan a vegetable garden. [That's a whole other post.] I'm shortening our showers. I'm giving Andrew extra reminders to bring his packed lunch to work. I'm using powdered milk.

I check our finances every day, as a motivator. But I still try to find something new every day, as well. Sometimes I'll grab The Complete Tightwad Gazette and open it to a random page and keep reading until I find something we could use.

Today, I think I'm going to give The Hillbilly Housewife's Excellent Homemade Ketchup a try, and probably make another batch of pizza crusts from the Sue Gregg cookbooks to put in the freezer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home