Educating the Wheelers


We've now moved to www.educatingthewheelers.com! If you're not automatically redirected, then click this. See you there!

Chronicling the Experience of Educating our Children and Managing our Family

Thursday, February 16, 2006

I Want a Garden

I want a garden.

Most of our grocery bill goes to produce -- fresh, frozen, or dried. Our kids will be homeschooled, so it's an obvious project for them to help with. Our backyard is about a half acre, fenced, and there's not a whole lot going on back there once you get past the decks and the playscape.

So why don't I have a garden?

Odocoileus virginianus, the dreaded white-tailed deer.

Our house is on the deer superhighway right between two wooded, wild areas. There are some mornings when I'll look out and see two dozen of them in our front or back yard. Unfortunately, our 8-10 [?] foot tall privacy fence only extends about halfway back into our backyard, it's a 3 footer for the remaining, and they jump over that with ease.

So I can't just slap together a nice little Square Foot Gardening square and call it a day with a little quickie experiment. Unless, of course, I want fatter and happier deer.

I don't relish the idea of building a tall fence to enclose a garden, like all my neighbors have had to do. And I'm not sure how big I'd want to make it -- I certainly don't want to ever have to expand it once it's up. I have too many memories of spending summers at my grandparent's house, expanding the deer fence every year. Heh.

And then there's the whole new-child-being-born-in-two-months thingy. I think I'll be waiting until next year. Heh.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shannon County Democrat Club said...

Hi, Terri. I am researching the same thing. An electric fence is what we are considering for our 40X60 ft area...about $400 for the steel posts ($4 each on 10 ft centers)& wire ($15 roll), solar charger ($175), battery ($60, clips, etc). Not an attractive solution. Second solution is from the gardening catalogs , a 8ft mesh you can hardly see with nice looking black posts. Abouat $500 for a kit, $200 for 100 ft of 8ft mesh only; Think this will be our solution. I tried Irish Spring Soap...helped some; hair clippings from the barbershop mixed with the mulch...helped some; See progress and our decisions at Pine Ridge Potager Garden blog.

Good Luck and safe birthing.
Suzanne

2/19/2006 04:33:00 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Hey, thanks for your comment! It's great to hear how other people are tackling this.

I checked out your blog and look forward to keeping updated on your progress.

2/21/2006 07:28:00 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

What about a CSA or farm/work thing? There is a farm here that has "farm days" where people (members) bring their kids, somebody watches them while everyone else works, then they all eat lunch together. Then each family takes as much produce home as they want. The kids learn about the farm (they can work as they get older), you get free or low cost produce, and they are always organic which is better for everyone.

3/07/2006 08:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home