Educating the Wheelers


We've now moved to www.educatingthewheelers.com! If you're not automatically redirected, then click this. See you there!

Chronicling the Experience of Educating our Children and Managing our Family

Monday, February 06, 2006

On the Road Again

Audrey and I will be heading up North to my parents' house this week for three weeks of extended family fun and vacation. We do this about 3 or 4 times a year for a variety of reasons -- it's a big vacation for Andrew, who can work work uninterrupted on whatever projects he might have in the hopper; and it's a big vacation for me, because my folks are super-helpful with EVERYTHING and Audrey loves them and I get to relax. It's a win-win for everyone. And since we're gone so long, Andrew will often fly up for a weekend himself to visit us visiting. Heh.

We can usually get the flights pretty cheap, so the big frugal challenge for us is how to keep Andrew well fed without breaking the bank. [In other words, no Central Market deli 5 times a week at 15 bucks a pop for lunch or dinner, as tasty as that would be.] The food budget when Audrey and I are gone is usually much higher than when all three of us are there since I can't do the planning and cooking.

The first thing I do is start about a month beforehand scanning the circulars for loss-leader frozen pizzas and the like, and fill the freezer with tasty, easy to heat up meals for dinner. Then yesterday, I had Andrew select a handful of recipes for me to make for him that I'll individually package for him so he can grab them on the way out the door to work. But that sort of thing will only last a week.

He came grocery shopping with me yesterday, which he doesn't normally do, and we got a bunch of basics for building sandwiches and tacos and whatnot, so hopefully he'll just have to pick up mostly produce and dairy for himself while I'm gone.

So, with this preparation, he should have more breathing room for "treats" while he's on vacation without the expense of every meal being a treat, so to speak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home