Educating the Wheelers


We've now moved to www.educatingthewheelers.com! If you're not automatically redirected, then click this. See you there!

Chronicling the Experience of Educating our Children and Managing our Family

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

What Am I Going to Do With All These Bananas?

I hate to waste food and have been working on more interesting ways to use things up. Take bananas. My husband is the big banana eater in the house, but won't touch them after they start to get a little spotty.

If I don't have much time, I just toss them as-is into the freezer, and later when I take them out, I peel them slightly defrosted with a paring knife and use them in whatever recipe. Pancakes, waffles, mashed into french toast bath, smoothies, the usual. But I get pretty sick of banana bread and muffins pretty quickly.

This is my new favorite way to use them:

Banana cookies.

2-3 ripe bananas, mashed in a bowl
1.5-2c uncooked oatmeal
1/3 cup oil
Splosh of vanilla
Handful of dried fruit, whatever you got. I like chopped dates.

Mix it all together, let it sit for awhile and soak into the oatmeal. Then drop spoonfuls onto a greased pan [mush it down, they're better a bit thinner] and bake at 350 until done. Usually about 10 minutes or so. Can be up to 20, depending on your stove, and how thick you made them.

Love them, love them, love them. And if you can get your dried fruit cheap, fairly frugal, too!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rochelle said...

Hi! I've been reading your blog a while now, and I've thought of something to say ;)

Once your baby gets old enough, you won't have to worry about making banana bread, cookies, or muffins. You can just mush it and have instant baby food :)

3/10/2006 03:23:00 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Hello!

Strangely enough, our current toddler rejected all of the standard "first" mashed up baby foods -- bananas, avocado, cooked egg yolks, etc. She was almost exclusively breast milk until she transitioned to regular food around a year old. [OK, there was the time that my mom gave her a Slim Jim and a dill pickle when she was about 9 months old, and she hoovered it right up ... but I can't explain that.]

Maybe this next little one will like bananas, like his daddy.

3/10/2006 02:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home